The A2A Simulations Community

"Come share your passion for flight"
It is currently Wed Dec 19, 2018 8:24 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 12:21 pm 
BDG

Pump up the volume and get your BoB2 fix here :lol: :lol: . I hope you enjoy it.

Spitfires defend against raiding Bf109s and Stukas over RAF Hawkinge Airfield in Southern England, summer of 1940:

Watch at Google Video:
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid ... 7189&hl=en

OR

Watch at YouTube:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=TCHk9CFgE-U

Filmed using FRAPS, edited with Ulead Video Studio 10 Plus. The virtual pilot also used Track IR4 Pro head tracking device in-game. My PCs specs in the signature below.

Background music is In Dulce Decorum from The Damned.

In-game mods that are not 2.05 stock are clearer canopy glass from Smokin256, modified RAF flybys from Tiger_33 and modified .303 browning from me and Tako Kichi.

PS: Give me some feedback - good or bad - so I know what to change or not or if I should bother doing more in the future. I have a thick skin so lay it on me.

i7-990X Extreme Edition CPU; 12GB DDR3 RAM; ASRock 58X Deluxe mobo; EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 video card; Corsair HX850W PSU; XFi Titanium; 40” 1920X1080 LCD; MS FFB2; TIR 5 Pro; Logitech MX518 mouse; Logitech Z680 speakers; Buttkicker Gamer

Last edited by SeaVee on Wed Dec 13, 2006 12:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 1:12 pm 
Airman Basic

Got my daily dose.
Nice, Thanks.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 1:42 pm 
Senior Airman

SeaVee wrote:
Pump up the volume and get your BoB2 fix here :lol: :lol: . I hope you enjoy it.

In-game mods that are not 2.05 stock are clearer canopy glass from Smokin256, modified RAF flybys from Tiger_33 and modified .303 browning from me and Tako Kichi.

PS: Give me some feedback - good or bad - so I know what to change or not or if I should bother doing more in the future. I have a thick skin so lay it on me.

I originally thought I preferred the stock 303 sounds but now think they're a little thin or weak sounding. I like your deeper and thumpier version. Do you know a program with which I could try modding this sound further as I think eight guns firing together would give a far more complex and intense sound - doubt individual gunshots would be distinguishable amongst all that cacophony. Did they all fire at the same rate independent of one another; was there some system set up so they didn't fire exactly together for fear of airframe stress? Bit of a grey area for me.

Is it possible to double up or increase the rate of fire to suggest this because simply speeding it up would raise the pitch as well (Pinky & Perky effect) and we'd end up losing the depth of sound in the process, but maybe a sort of multi-tracking might do it.
I also wonder if there are any audio files around of the real guns firing together at the airfield gun testing ranges where the groundcrew adjusted convergence etc. Maybe those could be sampled and converted into a suitable wave file. I'm just throwing in some ideas, having little knowledge of sound modifications so don't know whether I'm even vaguely heading in the right direction. :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 2:09 pm 
BDG

Tako Kichi has professional technical sound editing experience. I have no idea how to modify this sound in the ways you are describing.

Great ideas though.

i7-990X Extreme Edition CPU; 12GB DDR3 RAM; ASRock 58X Deluxe mobo; EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 video card; Corsair HX850W PSU; XFi Titanium; 40” 1920X1080 LCD; MS FFB2; TIR 5 Pro; Logitech MX518 mouse; Logitech Z680 speakers; Buttkicker Gamer

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 2:12 pm 
BDG & A2A

SeaVee wrote:
Give me some feedback - good or bad - so I know what to change or not or if I should bother doing more in the future. I have a thick skin so lay it on me.

I loved the video but if I could make a small point SeeVee it would be that the audio mix is not quite 'right'. Speaking as a former recording studio engineer I found the music track to be a bit too 'up front' and I was having to strain to hear the radio traffic and the effects sounds. If you either dropped the music track down a touch or raised the sound effects track a touch I think you would achieve a better balance and a better overall 'feel'. At the moment it's a bit like a candidate for MTV where the music track is more important than the visuals rather than it being a great example of flying/fighting in BoB2 with a musical backing track.

Just my 2c.

Last edited by Tako_Kichi on Mon Dec 11, 2006 3:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 2:37 pm 
BDG & A2A

SeaVee wrote:
Tako Kichi has professional technical sound editing experience. I have no idea how to modify this sound in the ways you are describing.

I used a professional software application to edit the sound file but there is a free sound editor that is very powerful and could be used to edit the .wav files BoB uses. It can be found at.....

http://audacity.sourceforge.net/

choxaway wrote:
Is it possible to double up or increase the rate of fire to suggest this because simply speeding it up would raise the pitch as well (Pinky & Perky effect) and we'd end up losing the depth of sound in the process, ...

In the days of reel-to-reel tape increasing the speed raised the pitch as you describe but with modern digital files you can easily change the speed without affecting the pitch of the recording. In the case of the new gun sounds I felt that that they were too slow in the original form and I confirmed this by checking them against the gun flashes on the wings of the Spit and they were in fact out of sync. I shortened the length of the wave file (using time compression rather than cropping/editing) so that the gun sounds and wing/tracer flashes are now in sync with each other.

choxaway wrote:
...but maybe a sort of multi-tracking might do it.

You could copy (bounce) the original track to a second track in studio software and then time-slip it so that it fell halfway between the gun sounds on the original (you would then need to cut off the single track 'bits' at each end for it to sound right). However, the resulting sounds would appear to be out of sync with the gun flashes. I believe the RAF at that time were using 1 in 5 tracer so I guess you could always argue that was why the flashes and gun sounds didn't match up :wink: .

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 2:55 pm 
BDG

Hi Larry, thanks for the advice.

At first I didn't know how to adjust the audo track within the video but just figured it out. I lowered the music about 25-30% except the opening words and then the music part fades down for the remainder. There are a few spots where I used the BoB2 Replay feature to capture the video with Fraps. In those sections there is little or no in-game sounds as the Replay feature dopes not have much audio... For some reaon in those sections the flyby sounds predominate.

I just completed the final edit and am uploading and overwriting the file at the google video link. It will take about an hour and it should be replaced. Check it again later and let me know if its better.

Thanks again.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 4:02 pm 
Senior Airman

Having asked the question re sound editing (and thanks for the reponses, by the way) I did a Google search and downloaded a free program called WavePad and I've already been playing with the Brownong gun sound. Trouble is I've made several versions and now can't decide which I prefer.

Is there a way of posting the modified files here or do I need to upload them to my photobucket site and link to them? I don't want to upload them to CombatAce as they're obviously not my files, merely my versions of them, and I'd rather you guys who created them heard them first.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 4:33 pm 
BDG

I think its great. Well done SeaVee. I do like it very much. Well done mate. I just wish i could control Tir4 same as you, i always seem to be too close to the windscreen, and i can see you are quite far a way... anyway, good job. Anyone who watches this video asd is in to BoB and flight sims will want to buy the game.

Best wishes,

Spitfireace.

Edit. Stick a link to this one in the Videos Sticky would be good mate.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 5:39 pm 
BDG & A2A

SeaVee wrote:
Check it again later and let me know if its better.

Much better now SeeVee, well done!

If I wanted to get super critical, and after 5+ years teaching both professional sound recording techniques and video making techniques at College level I can get very specific when critiquing other people's work :wink: , I would say that the music section could still come down a couple of notches on the slider but the second half of WC's speech at the start gets a bit lost and could do with bringing up a tad.

Nice touch with the 'Lord Haw-Haw' sound bite though, I like that bit :wink: . Not too many people outside of the UK even know who he was or the way he tried to spread mass fear and emotional turmoil via his radio broadcasts from Germany. A short bio on him can be found here....

http://tinyurl.com/wdjtr

In many ways 'Tokyo Rose' (there were in fact 20 women who did the broadcasts from Japan) did the same thing in the Pacific Theatre of operations.

Last edited by Tako_Kichi on Mon Dec 11, 2006 5:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 5:48 pm 
Senior Airman

Larry - I can't find a site suitable for hosting my modded sound files - only accept photos or video files. Could I perhaps email them directly to you or SeaVee for your opinions?
If you like any of them you could then add them into your CombatAce uploads file as possible alternatives. Just a thought. I'm using one at the moment and certainly feel happier with it than I was with the in-game one.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 5:50 pm 
BDG

SeeVee, that video was truely outstanding. I enjoyed it and you editing is also outstanding.

We has a new video master.

Intel I7 920 processor (2.66GHz, 8MB cache), 6GB DDR3 Triple Channel @1333MHz, 1.8GB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 295, Sound Blaster X-Fi PCI Sound Card, Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit , CH Fighter Stick & Pedals ,TrackIR4 Pro thanks to BobII crew.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 6:06 pm 
BDG & A2A

choxaway wrote:
Larry - I can't find a site suitable for hosting my modded sound files - only accept photos or video files. Could I perhaps email them directly to you or SeaVee for your opinions?

If you want to email them to me (provided they are not over 5Mb as my ISP has a limit on file size) drop me a PM and I will reply with my email address.

In the meantime the following free hosting site (a sister site to Putfile.com) accepts audio files (especially if they are zipped first).

http://putstuff.putfile.com/

The files are stored for 30 days per download, in other words 30 days after the last download the files are deleted but to keep the link active you must download once every 30 days. For just placing files for short term storage it could be a useful option especially if you want to make the files available to a lot of people for review.

choxaway wrote:
If you like any of them you could then add them into your CombatAce uploads file as possible alternatives. Just a thought. I'm using one at the moment and certainly feel happier with it than I was with the in-game one.

I don't have any files on CombatAce, maybe SeeVee put those on there.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 6:54 pm 
BDG

Darnit - its still a tad too loud on the music background. Uploading it one last time a notch lower..... Should be done in an hour.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 7:09 pm 
BDG & A2A

SeaVee wrote:
Darnit - its still a tad too loud on the music background. Uploading it one last time a notch lower..... Should be done in an hour.

Sorry SeeVee :oops: but you did ask for a critique :P :lol: .